maybe ppl already asked u this but how do u draw the highlights?
I do have a shading/lighting tutorial, but it's a mess, so here's a quick rundown for just the highlights:
1. pick a color that's not white (I usually just use the same color as my shader
2. color where you want the highlights to be (on a layer above your flats)
3. a) using photoshop or gimp or something similar gaussian blur that layer so the lines you drew aren't sharp, but they don't blur into a large area (on a small canvas I usually do it at 34, on larger canvases 54 usually works)
3. b) using sai or something similar get a brush that fuzzes out the color for you. Like a water brush.
4. set the layer mode to divide or luminosity or something else that makes the color lighter.
5. on a new layer, retrace the places where you want sharper highlights to be seen.
6. put that layer mode to divide or luminosity or something, and you're finished!
how do you shade?
What I did was (in GIMP though it should work in any program that has layers like PS or Sai) make a new layer and with a purple drew in where I wanted the shadows to go, then I set the layer to multiply or darken (I forget which, try them all~) then lower the opacity to around 60%. Then duplicate the layer and guassian blur it a bit (to get the smoother shading) and lighten the opacity of that to around 20-40%. Doing the highlights is the same except using soft light or lighten layer mode instead! c:
Hope that helped~
Hope that helped~
This is different than most people so I found it realllly interesting to see! Thank you for sharing!
I'm glad it was interesting! I decided to do this style on a whim, but I'm glad to see people liking it! C:
how do you decide that the proportions are right?
Shading is easier said than done, but this is still very helpful. Thanks for making it